So you've switched to Ecover cleaning products, bought a bamboo toothbrush and are fully embracing Meat Free Mondays, but whats next?
We put so much emphasis on what is going in to our bodies that sometimes we forget to consider what we're putting on the outside. Our skin creams, deodorants and hair care can contain nastys such as aluminium- you'd never knowingly eat it but by applying it to you're body it'll be absorbed through your pores, scary!
One way to avoid these harmful ingredients is to make your own products, then you know exactly what's gone into them. Toothpaste is one of the easiest to switch and it's proven to work. Commercial toothpaste often contains Fluoride; the recipe below contains only 4 natural ingredients!
- 2/3 Cup Bicarbonate of Soda (a mild abrasive and odor remover)
- 1 Teaspoon Fine Sea Salt (packed with minerals which are great for your teeth)
- 1-2 Teaspoons Peppermint Extract or 10-15 Drops Peppermint Essential Oil (to add flavor, swap out for orange, fennel or any other flavor you like)
- Water (enough to reach desired consistency)
- Mix together everything apart fro the water, to for a paste
- Add a little water at a time until you reach the consistency you like. Thick enough to stay on your brush but not so thick it'll stick your mouth together!
Store in a container (preferably made of glass) and out of direct sunlight. It may take a little time to get used to a more natural toothpaste, however we think saving money and the planet is worth it!